Find of the Month: Love Is Art
Whether you celebrate Valentine’s Day or not, it’s pretty undeniable that February is typically associated with love, sweethearts, and passion. So although I had quite a few choices for what to throw up here for Find of the Month, I couldn’t resist honing in on an intimate gift idea designed to quell your cabin fever.
I know that at first glance, the picture above may seem pretty innocuous. You’re basically just looking at a large-scale abstract canvas hanging on a wall, right? The question then becomes – who created the picture? And in this particular case, it’s probably worth noting, how? Enter LOVE IS ART, a unique collection of art kits created by South African-born artist Jeremy Brown, known for his paintings created during intimacy.
After being prodded by his friends to start selling kits so they can try their hand at concocting their own down & dirty paintings, Jeremy launched LOVE IS ART in 2011. Since then, over 30,000 couples have purchased his kits – which include an all-natural, non-toxic paint, a tarp to keep your possessions protected, a large piece of canvas to work your magic on, two pairs of disposable slippers to keep paint from tracking from your art to your shower, and a special body scrubber and soap for a post-painting scrubdown.
Personally, I love this as a saucy bachelorette or shower gift, or if you want to keep things quiet (and future houseguests guessing), gift it to your special someone as a birthday, anniversary, or naturally, Valentine’s gift. It’s a fun way to suggest a special evening together, with results that’ll last far longer than this bonding experience. All you have to do is take your dried painting into any framing shop (including Michael’s, as a mass market option) and get ‘em to stretch it for you. Presto, you’ve got an instant piece of abstract art with some more-than-emotional significance.
Beyond the fact you & your partner will be the ones crafting this work from scratch, there’s some additional room for customization – the LOVE IS ART store sells dozens of variations of both canvas and paint colours, as well as sets with some extras to give your painting a bit of extra flare, like the ‘Criss Cross Edition‘ pictured directly above, or the ‘Equality Edition‘ shown prior to this image. All of the kits range in price from $60 – $110 depending on which kit you choose (plus the cost of framing of course), making it perfectly priced to either pool funds for a group gift, or at a totally reasonable range to gift your sweetheart.
It’s also worth noting that there’s a benevolent side to purchasing a LOVE IS ART kit. This year, 20% of all sales made during this pre-Valentine’s season will actually be donated to the World Food Program – purchasing just one kit can actually put food in the bellies of 50 starving folks. I particularly love this because even if you see Valentine’s as a corporate holiday, at least you know this particular purchase can give back to the world, and give you a special experience together.
Because it’s a month for lovers and I just love all my readers so much, I’ve actually got TWO prize packages to giveaway to two of you. Each prize includes a LOVE IS ART Signature Series Kit + a Will Work For Love tank. If you’re ready to get physical, here’s how to enter:
1) Leave a comment by February 28th with the LOVE IS ART kit you’d pick for yourself from their collection.
2) Entries are limited to one per person / per email address / per household (or more if you score bonus entries). A random draw will be conducted on or around March 1st to select the winners, who will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen in their place.
3) Entries are limited to Canadians that have reached the age of majority in their province. Quebec is not eligible to participate in this promotion.
4) Bonus Entry: Like LOVE IS ART on Facebook and leave a comment to say hello to earn yourself a bonus entry. As always, you have no obligation to mention the Canadian Gift Guide.
5) Bonus Entries #2+: Check out every new, non-contest post that goes up during the month of February for bonus entry opportunities galore!