About these ads

The Not So Far East

Today’s gift ideas have a simple unifying theme: I drew inspiration from the so-called “Far East”, which in today’s global culture is actually well within our grasp thanks to imported products and ingenious domestically-made lines that channel the spirit of various Eastern Hemisphere countries. I’ve handpicked one product across five different regions – enjoy!

Disney Reigning Beauties Princess Jasmine

To Celebrate Arabian Nights: Disney’s Reigning Beauty Collection: Jasmine – $23 – $66 @ SephoraI am WOEFULLY behind the times in reporting on this line for you, but I can tell you that when I first got word that Jasmine would be the next Disney Princess to get the ‘Reigning Beauty’ treatment in partnership with Sephora, I definitely squealed. For one, I was in a production of Aladdin as a kid (my sis was Jasmine) and I’ve got a soft spot for this oft-overlooked princess. For another, I was psyched to see what Jasmine-specific goodies Sephora would come out with, and they did not disappoint. The 3 Wishes Eyeliner set ($50) is a particular standout as it gives you three options to charcoal on your own dramatic liner – in gel, chunky pencil, or smooth-gliding liquid liner form. Also special is the A Whole New World Perfumed Body Shimmer ($54), which gives your skin a sparkling glow to rival the desert sands at sunset, along with an exotic citrus & flower scent.

Plum Pretty Sugar Kimono RobesTo Turn Japanese: Kimono-Style Robes – $65 – $142 @ Pretty Plum Sugar
Technically speaking the minds behind these pretty Japanese-inspired robes have branded them as “Bridesmaid” robes for that morning-of prep (and many mornings to come), but realistically any gal would love to wrap herself in one of these Cotton Voile or Habutai Silk dressing gowns. Available in array of classic vintage-inspired prints, these robes would make an angelic choice for Mother’s Day, birthdays, or yes, wedding parties. Want to turn up the snuggle factor? Be sure to check out the matching lounge pants, tanks, nightgowns, and accessories.

Yun Diffuser

To Avoid Being a Bull in a China Shop: Five-Sense Yun Aroma Diffuser – $293 @ The Harmonious MindThe clean lines of the aromatherapy diffuser pictured above certainly echo what we’d expect from Eastern design, this all-in-one relaxation station is designed to help you achieve some inner zen as well. Not only does this nifty device gently diffuse the essential oil aroma of your choice, it also helps purify the air around it. Unwind to the built-in spa music or hook it up to your MP3 player or SmartPhone, plus mediate to a light show for a total body experience. It may be a splurge, but it makes a perfect choice for a Master Bathroom after a long, hard day.

World-Wind Tour SkirtTo Kick Up The Kremlin Factor: World-Wind Tour Skirt – $57.99 @ ModClothPeople always forget Russia is indeed part of Asia. Add a pop of colour and a touch of whimsy to your wardrobe with this Kremlin-inspired skirt. Featuring an array of onion dome buildings, this cheery skirt is perfect for springtime paired with a crisp white tee or a sheer lemon-coloured blouse. The knee-length is flattering on just about everyone, and the subtle pocket is handy for those sunny day walks when you want to feel almost completely unencumbered, but still have some essentials on-hand. Makes a lovely birthday gift for your sister or wife.

Ganeshas Garden Solid Perfumes

To Channel Beauty By Way of Bollywood: Ganesha’s Garden Solid Perfumes – $13.99 eachFirst things first. These are solid perfumes housed in pretty soapstone boxes. Now let’s dig deeper. Those solid perfumes? They’re actually made from (mostly organic) essential oils, and earn the Canadian Gift Guide’s stamp of approval for being an all-natural green beauty alternative to typical alcohol-based perfumes. Secondly, those stone containers are actually hand-carved by Ganesha’s Garden fair trade partner Pushpanjali, in Agra, India – making each one a one-of-a-kind piece of micro art that supports the welfare and education of women in India. Finally, each little scent minimizes its ecological footprint: when you’re done with a perfume, hang onto the box and use it as a little trinket keeper. I love these as party favours for stagettes or small weddings, or even just something to keep on hand for hostess gifts.

I’m very excited to be introducing you to Ganesha’s Garden, and hope you’ll consider ‘em for future gift-giving. Want to try their scents for yourself? We’re giving away TWO perfumes each to TWELVE people, which means the odds are very much in your favour, IF you read below:

1) Leave a comment by May 21st with the TWO scents you’d most like to try from Ganesha’s Garden AND your favourite not-so-far-east gift pick featured in this post.

2) Entries are limited to one per person / per email address / per household (or more if you score bonus entries). A random draw will be conducted on or around May 22nd to select the winners, who will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen in their place.

3) Entries are limited to Canadians that have reached the age of majority in their province. Quebec is not eligible to participate in this promotion.

4) Bonus Entry: Pin any of the five items in this post and leave a link back to your pins to earn up to FIVE bonus entries (1 per pin).

About these ads
Comments
124 Responses to “The Not So Far East”

The two scents I’d most like to try are Oasis and Vanilla; and my favourite gift is the Five-Sense Yun Diffuser.

• Thanks for telling people about our products. Just for visitors to your site, here is a coupon code for 15% off any order on The Harmonious Mind. Just use the code “CanadianGiftGuideMay2013″ (without the quotes) now through May 19th.

Pin #1

please delete previous post:
    Pin #2

Pin #3

5. Leah says:

I’d most like to try white lotus and green tea

6. Leah says:

My other fave pick is the Kimono-Style Robes

7. kittypride says:

SANDALWOOD Ganesha’s Garden Solid Perfume and the THOUSAND FLOWERS Ganesha’s Garden Solid Perfume

The Kimono-Style Robes are very beautiful.

I’ve want to try the Vanilla and Sandalwood scents from Ganesha’s Garden. My favourite not-so-far-east gift pick is actually the Ganesha’s Garden Solid Perfume, although the Five-Sense Yun Aroma Diffuser would be neat.

10. Leah C says:

Vanilla and Amber would be my fave scents and the Disney Sephora pack would be the fave “not so far east gift” !!!!!!!!

11. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

I love Sandalwood so SANDALWOOD Ganesha’s Garden Solid Perfume would be my first choice.

My second would be WHITE LOTUS Ganesha’s Garden Solid Perfume

My favourite not-so-far-east gift pick is any one of the Kimono-Style Robes – $65 – $142 @ Pretty Plum Sugar

12. i would like to try your vanilla perfume

The 2 scents I’d like to try would be the Green Tea & Amber & my favourite gift from the above post is Disney’s Reigning Beauty Collection: Jasmine by OPI only because I can’t resist any kind of nail polish or nail related items.

14. Ria A. says:

I’ve love to try the OM and White Lotus scents : )
    My fav pick from the post is the Disney’s Reigning Beauty Collection: Jasmine, specifically the Palace Jewel Compact Mirror! x

15. LINDA says:

My favorite scents are vanilla and sandalwood. I also think the kimono style robes are very pretty.

The two scents I’d like to try are Vanilla and White Lotus.
    The featured gift idea I like is the Kimono Style Robe.

The scents I’m most like to try are OM and White Lotus. The featured gift I would choose the Kimono Style Robe in blue.

18. Jennifer C. says:

I would most like to try the “THOUSAND FLOWERS” and the “PLUMERIA” scents!

My favourite gift pick is the “Kimono-Style Robes!”

19. Linda Peters says:

Vanilla & White Lotus sound yummy, and love the Kimono Style Robes, thanks

20. I’d like to try the Vanilla and Amber fragrances. My other fave item from the gift ideas is the pink floral kimono robe.

21. Debbie F says:

I would like to like Patchouli and Patchouli Rose

22. Debbie F says:

I also like the Kimono-Style Robes

23. I would most like to try the Sandalwood and Patchouli Rose scents
    My favourite Not So Far East gift pick is the Ganesha’s Garden Solid Perfumes
    Bonus entries:

24. Tanya Grosz says:

I would choose Vanilla and Sandalwood and would favor Five-Sense Yun Aroma Diffuser.

25. Louise says:

The two scents I’d most like to try are Oasis and Patchouli Rose scents. the kimono style robes are very pretty and sexy

26. Laura van Dok says:

The two scents I would most like to try are: Thousand Flowers (http://www.ganeshasgarden.com/eshop/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=35) and Oasis (http://www.ganeshasgarden.com/eshop/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=33)
    My favourite item from the not-so-far-east is the Kimono Style Robe.

28. Linda A says:

The two scents I’d most like to try are White Lotus and Pulmeria and my favourite gift is the Kimono -Style Robes.

29. Jennifer L. says:

I’d most like to try the Vanilla and the Green Tea.
    My favourite gift featured here is the Kimino-Style Robe.

30. Elaine R says:

OM and Green Tea sound like lovely scents.

31. Melinda L. says:

Favourite pick from this post is Disney’s Reigning Beauty Collection: Jasmine. The 2 scents I would love to try are thousand flowers and oasis

32. Jessica L. says:

My 2 favorite scents are india & white lotus.

My favorite pick is the kimono.

33. Lisa says:

I want to try the Om and White Lotus scents and my favourite gift is the 5 Sense Yun Aroma Diffuser.

34. Myra says:

The two scents I most like to try is the Vanilla and Oasis – and my fav not-so-far-east gift packe featured is the Japanese Kimono-Style robes

35. Grace F says:

The 2 scents I’d love to try are Oasis and White Lotus….and my favourite gift giving idea is the Five-Sense Yun Aroma Diffuser, which is so incredibly unique! Very cool… beautiful aromas, lights and soothing music. Love it!

36. mousecat says:

Vanilla and Amber would be my solid perfume choices.
    Fav not-so-far-east is: the world-wind tour skirt!

37. Audrey Skinner says:

I would love to try amber and sandalwood

The 2 scents I would love to try are White Lotus and Sandalwood. My favourite gift idea is the Five Sense Yun Aroma Diffuser.
    Pin #1 – http://pinterest.com/pin/20618110766727590/
    #2 – http://pinterest.com/pin/20618110766727595/
    #3 – http://pinterest.com/pin/20618110766727598/
    #4 – http://pinterest.com/pin/20618110766727600/
    #5 – http://pinterest.com/pin/20618110766727603/

39. saydi harlton says:

I love Amber and Om scents and my fav not-so-far-east would have to be the Kimono-Style Robes

40. sarah sar says:

I would love to try the Vanilla and Thousand Flowers

My fave gift pick are the Kimono-Style Robes. they look so cute and feminine!

41. GARRY S says:

OASIS AND VANILLA KIMONO STYLE ROBES

42. Melissa Avey says:

My favourite not-so-far-east gift pick is the kimono. The 2 scents I would love to try are White Lotus & Oasis

43. Melissa Avey says:

My favourite item has been pinned! http://pinterest.com/pin/115193702941591783/

44. Kristen says:

Sandalwood and White Lotus sound lovely! I love the world wind tour skirt.

45. Carol Oddy says:

Really like the kimono style robes, very nice! Two scents I would really like to try is white lotus and amber, thanks.

46. Glogirl says:

I would like to try the Vanilla and White Lotus scents.
    My favourite gift idea is the World-Wind Tour Skirt.

47. Tammy Dalley says:

I would love to try VANILLA Ganesha’s Garden Solid Perfume & WHITE LOTUS Ganesha’s Garden Solid Perfume. I love the Kimono-Style Robes they are just gorgeous!

Pin #1 http://pinterest.com/pin/124412008428648801/
    Pin #2 http://pinterest.com/pin/124412008428648802/
    Pin #3 http://pinterest.com/pin/124412008428648803/
    Pin #4 http://pinterest.com/pin/124412008428648804/

Pin #5 http://pinterest.com/pin/124412008428648806/

48. wendy dickinson says:

Ganesha’s Garden Solid Perfumes and the 2 smellys i’d choose are Vanilla and Oasis.
    msdickinson28 at hot mail dot com

49. I would most like to try the White Lotus and the India scents! I love the Disney’s Reigning Beauty Collection for my gift pick!
    rebthecatsitter at gmail dot com

50. Taps says:

i would like to try the Patcholi rose scnet and Om scent…I like the Five-Sense Yun aroma diffuser looks quite unique..

51. Marlene J says:

Picks would be –
    VANILLA GANESHA’S GARDEN SOLID PERFUME (me) & OM SOLID PERFUME (mom)
    Love perfumes :)

Disney’s Reigning Beauty Collection: Jasmine – I love makeup :)

52. i like vanilla and oasis but i like them all.Japenese kimonas are nice

53. Heidi W says:

Would like to try the white lotus and vanilla perfumes…and i love the world-wind tour skirt!!!

54. Julia says:

The two scents I’d like to try from Ganesha’s Garden are: Amber, and Vanilla. My favourite Not-so-far-east pick is: the Kimono-Style-Robes.

55. ChristineB says:

My favourite of the scents is Vanilla and sandlewood. The kimonos-style robes are pretty.

56. Sarah says:

The two scents I would like to try are Sandalwood and Patchouli Rose.
    My favourite gift pick is the kimono-style robes.

The two scents that I would like to try are vanilla and green tea. My favourite pick would be the Five-Sense Yun Aroma Diffuser.

58. Lynn A says:

I would love to try Ganesha’s Garden Oasis and Green Tea and the Five Sense Yun Aroma Diffuser

TWO scents I’d most like to try from Ganesha’s Garden are their “OASIS” and “THOUSAND FLOWERS”. My favourite not-so-far-east gift pick featured in this post is the, “Five-Sense Yun Aroma Diffuser – $293 @ The Harmonious Mind”

Bonus Entry:
    #1 – Disney Reigning Beauties Princess Jasmine … http://pinterest.com/pin/190347521723343804/
    #2 – Plum Pretty Sugar Kimono Robes … http://pinterest.com/pin/190347521723343810/
    #3 – Yun Diffuser … http://pinterest.com/pin/190347521723343815/
    #4 – World-Wind Tour Skirt … http://pinterest.com/pin/190347521723343818/
    $5 – Ganeshas Garden Solid Perfumes … http://pinterest.com/pin/190347521723343820/

Thank you.

60. Joan Brown says:

I would like to try the Green Tea and the Sandalwood. The featured gift idea I like is the Kimono Style Robe.

61. The two scents that I would most like to try are Oasis and Plumeria. My favourite not-so-far-east gift pick featured in this post is the Disney’s Reigning Beauty Collection: Jasmine, specifically the eye shadow palette. I love those colors!

62. Carolyn says:

I would like: OM & Patchuli
    AND
    Disney’s Reigning Beauty Collection: Jasmine

63. Anne Derkat says:

I’d like to try the Vanilla and White Lotus and the Japanese Kimono style robe

64. I love the To Turn Japanese: Kimono-Style Robes very very much.
    I am thinking that the scents that I may adore would be the AMBER Ganesha’s Garden Solid Perfume and the maybe the White Lotus. :)

65. Sara Sharp says:

I would like to try white lotus and oasis scents. And the kimono inspired robes

66. Mandy Rogasky says:

Two scents I’d like to try: Vanilla and Sandalwood. My favourite not-so-far-east gift pick is Disney’s Reigning Beauty Collection: Jasmine.

67. Mandy Rogasky says:

My pins:

68. Vanessa says:

The scents I would pick are Vanilla and Oasis and my favourite is definitely the Komono robes!

69. sarah p says:

I would love to try the Green Tea, and the White Lotus scents :) and my favourite gift idea would be the kimono style robe

70. julia g says:

My perfume choices are Om and India. My favourite gift idea is the kimono style robe.

71. julia g says:

My pins:

72. Stacey says:

amber and india scents sound fantastic, and I would pick the kimono style robe for sure!

73. Burcu says:

VANILLA Ganesha’s Garden Solid Perfume
    WHITE LOTUS Ganesha’s Garden Solid Perfume

I love Disney’s Reigning Beauty Collection: Jasmine

74. 409cope says:

I would love to try the Patchouli Rose and the Thousand Flowers scents the most.
    I like the To Turn Japanese: Kimono-Style Robes.

75. My favourite 2 scents were an easy pick ! Patchouli Rose and the Sandalwood !

Sephora’s Disney’s Reigning Beauty Collection: Jasmine is my favourite gift. I love the colours !

76. My pins, to my I LIKE THIS board !!!

77. stacey h says:

2 scents: OM and Vanilla
    and I really like the aroma diffuser (skirt is a close second)

78. eleanor says:

I’d like the WHITE LOTUS and PATCHOULI ROSE

79. Dreena says:

Two scents I would love to try are: Plumeria and Sandlewood.
    My favourite gift pick is the Kimono-style robe.
    Cheers.

80. madmoosemama says:

White Lotus & India…and the Kimono robes are gorgeous~!!

81. madmoosemama says:

82. Amy says:

Oasis and White Lotus :)
    Disney’s Reigning Beauty Collection: Jasmine!

83. Oasis and White Lotus :)
    Disney’s Reigning Beauty Collection: Jasmine !

84. Belinda McNabb says:

I like the To Celebrate Arabian Nights: Disney’s Reigning Beauty Collection

My two favorite scents are the amber and the vanilla

85. donyadonya says:

What gorgeous hand carved containers !!!

The scents I would pick are INDIA Ganesha’s Garden Solid Perfume and OM Solid Perfume…YUM !!