Find of the Month: Ever Rose
This month’s big find has a special place in my heart. Why’s that? Because it’s actually my very own business. That’s right! Over the past month, my husband (and co-conspirator) and I have launched an online clothing boutique called Ever Rose. Today, I’m psyched to tell you a bit more about why we started the store and what you can expect when shopping there.
Let’s start with the basics. Why did I start an online store? It’s a multi-faceted answer. For one, I’ve always loved clothes and shopping. I wear a lot of dresses in particular and have regularly been complimented on them, to the point where people have literally stopped me in the street, at the grocery store, and in the mall to ask where I got something. Most of my clothes come from independent boutiques, both online and locally (and during my travels abroad), meaning you don’t see my clothes too often on other people.
Here’s where things got tricky. For one thing, with the dollar’s decline over the past six months or so, it became increasingly expensive for me to justify ordering from online U.S. boutiques. When you factor in the 20% exchange rate, plus shipping (also paid in USD), plus often having to pay taxes and duties when an item arrived up north, I was spending an exorbitant amount on items that seemed reasonably priced.
For another, when I decided to spend more in local boutiques, I was finding it harder and harder to find things I liked that felt appropriate for all areas of my life. I could find office dresses at the mall, but they were so formal and uncomfortable, I’d never wear them on the weekend. Or I could find super trendy stuff at the boutiques, but it all just felt inappropriate for the office (crop tops, cutouts and micro lengths need not apply).
So I thought…why not create an online shopping destination that carries similar brands and styles to the ones I get complimented on? Thus, the seed of an idea for Ever Rose was born. Our aim is to carry clothes that are pretty and unique – clothes with a personality, as we like to say. The kinds of things that will become your favourites, and will earn you compliments yourself.
But that’s not all. We also wanted to carry things that were easy to wear and would work for all those different areas of your life. That means we try to pick things where you don’t have to fuss over what bra to wear, or you won’t have to worry about tugging on a too-short skirt all night – simple but practical details every woman values. It also means clothes that can generally work for multiple occasions. A chic dress for work should transition easily for drinks at night. Or a brunch with friends outfit should work just as well for a casual Friday at the office. Many of the items we carry also work splendidly for formal or semi-formal occasions – from a wedding to a baby shower to a special anniversary dinner.
Price point is also a factor in what we carry. We aim to carry dresses for under $150 and everything else under $100 – in fact right now, everything is under $100. Not only is it affordable to score yourself a new frock (or cardigan), we also offer flat rate shipping of $5 on orders under $100 and free shipping on orders over $100 – plus free returns. So you can shop and try things on at home, and if something doesn’t quite work, no worries, send it on back. Basically I wanted to create an ideal online shopping experience, including detailed measurements and fit tips, so you can be as certain as possible before hitting that ‘buy’ button.
Ever Rose is just getting off the ground – we launched a few weeks back and are psyched about the response to date, which makes sense as a lot of the brands we carry are the same ones you’ll find on those (pricy!) U.S. online shops that I’ve gotten so many compliments on over the years. So far we’re carrying primarily dresses (including summer-ready maxis!) and cardigans, but over the next few months we’re also adding skirts, tops, and sweaters. And over the next few weeks, we’re going to be adding a TON of new items, so keep your eyes on the site to see the latest and greatest arrivals.
I hope you’re as excited about Canada’s newest online boutique as I naturally am. We look forward to sharing more amazing styles with you over the coming months and to you adding your fave pieces to your wish lists – clothes top many of my friends’ and family members’ wish lists year after year, and I’m certain a few of Ever Rose‘s designs will end up on yours. If you have any questions about the shop, feel free to ask me in the comments!
Finally, I have a few special announcements. First, Ever Rose is kicking off a new contest this month! Each month, one lucky newsletter subscriber is going to win a free dress of their choice. You can sign up and be entered to win simply by entering your email in the subscription box – look toward the bottom of the lefthand nav on the site.
Secondly, as an extra special birthday treat to my readers, I’m upping the stakes and giving away two more dresses to two lucky readers – who will each get to pick one dress (or cardigan) of their choice. Want to win? Here’s how to enter:
1) First off! You must be a Canadian Gift Guide subscriber to enter this giveaway. Just find the ‘Gift of Gab’ box on the righthand side of this page and either hit ‘Follow’ or enter your email address. Once you’ve done that, visit EverRose.com and browse to your heart’s content. Pick your favourite item and leave a link back to it in a comment below, telling me why it’s the top of your list. You can pick more than one item! Just be sure to leave your comment by June 30, 2015.
2) Entries are limited to one per person / per email address / per household (or more if you score bonus entries). A random draw will be conducted on or around July 1, 2015 to select the winner(s), who will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen in their place.
3) Entries are limited to Canadians that have reached the age of majority in their province. Quebec is not eligible for this promotion.
4) Bonus Entries: There are FOUR ways to earn extra entries into this awesome giveaway.
– Follow Ever Rose on Twitter and tag @shopeverrose in a Tweet that links back to this giveaway. Link back to your Tweet in a separate comment below.
– Follow Ever Rose on Instagram. Then either share one of Ever Rose’s photos on their site to your own Instagram or Regram one of the shop’s photos. Link back to your shared image in a separate comment below.
– Like Ever Rose on Facebook. Leave a comment on Ever Rose’s wall about your favourite dress or what you think about the shop in general. Link back to your Facebook wall post in a separate comment below.
– Like Ever Rose on Pinterest Repin one of our pins to your own Pinterest board of choice. Then link back to your Pin in a separate comment below.