Walk The Line
We live in a slippery as heck climate, wouldn’t you agree? Between the mountains of snow and brief reprieves we get in the winter, Canada is filled with slippery ice patches for large portions of the year, making it treacherous for commuters, recreation walkers, or even just people dashing out from their car through a parking lot to navigate icy, slick roads and sidewalks. In fact, statistics show that every eight seconds, someone is subject to a slip and fall, sending millions to the hospital on an annual basis (lest we forget – those slips can happen indoors too, with soapy or waxy floors). Luckily, someone else has shared in this malady and answered the call to deliver a stylish, safer shoe.
Meet RHEA Footwear. Created by two Cornell students – Paul Ahn and John Lee – who also lamented the lack of cool yet safe footwear options to get through icy weather of their own. They developed a patented sole technology that bests just about any other shoe out there. If you watch their demo video, for example, it shows someone staying stable on a range of slippery surfaces, even hopping!
RHEA is available in a few different styles for both men and women. If you’re shopping for the current season, they’ve got a few different styles of ankle boots to keep rain and ice and snow at bay (although I’d love to see a knee-high style in the future), priced from $89.99 – $149.95. Made from real leather, these sleek booties are also super comfortable – they don’t require breaking in, according to RHEA, and are easy to maintain and care for.
If you’re looking ahead to spring, then you have no further to look for your new fave pair of flats. RHEA again offers slip-ons for both men and women that are totally on-trend. The flats are perhaps the most versatile of the bunch, as they can transition from the office to weekend leisure in a snap. Priced at $64.99+, they’re also fabulous for traveling and versatile enough to be worn with a pair of dark denims or a casual dress. Made from nubuck or suede leather, I think these shoes are pretty universally appealing – I could see anyone from a university student to a grandma rocking these easygoing flats.
And then we’ve got summer. RHEA has actually applied their technology to a pretty extensive lineup of flip flops – which are pretty prone to tangles and tripping on their own, making these an ultra valuable non-slip shoe option in your arsenal. No more fears of taking a tumble at the pool my friends, these ultra cozy padded flip flops have the same non-slip sole to ensure you’re steady on your feet, no matter how many July 1st cocktails you’ve consumed. And at just $39.99-$49.99, you can easily afford to snap up a pair or two to gift to yourself and your family / friends.
RHEA is a great footwear brand to check out for every member of your family. Their products are super well made, incredibly comfortable, and they pack a safety feature that you wouldn’t even know is there. They’re way more stylish than what you typically associate with ‘safe’ shoes, and very affordable too, with Canadian shipping prices clocking in around $13-$28.
To recap, here’s what you should know about RHEA Footwear:
- Incredible patented non-slip technology
- Styles for men and women
- Real leather fabrication
- Super comfortable, rarely requires breaking in
- Reasonable prices and Canadian shipping rates
- Styles for all seasons – boots, flats and flip flops
I can’t wait to see what RHEA applies their technology to next! In the meantime, I’m excited to give a lucky reader of mine the chance to pick out their own pair of RHEA shoes! Want to win a pair of your choice? Here’s how to enter:
1) Heads up: you must be a subscriber to the Canadian Gift Guide to enter this giveaway. It’s as simple as finding ‘The Gift of Gab’ box in the righthand column and dropping in your email or clicking follow. Then leave me a comment below by March 15, 2016 with a link back to your favourite item on the RHEA site.
2) Entries are limited to one per person / per email address / per household (or more if you score bonus entries). A random draw will be conducted on or around March 16, 2016 to select the winner, who will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen in their place.
3) Entries are limited to Canadians that have reached the age of majority in their province. Quebec is not eligible for this promotion.
4) Bonus Entry #1: Follow RHEA on Instagram and either Regram one of their photos or share a photo from their site onto your own Instagram. Be sure to tag them in your post. Leave a link back to your image in a separate comment below.
5) Bonus Entry #2: Follow RHEA on Facebook and leave a comment on their wall regarding your favourite product(s) from their site. Leave a link back to your wall post in a separate comment below.
6) Bonus Entry #3: Follow RHEA on Twitter and send out a Tweet that tags them + me (@cdngiftguide) and links back to this post. Leave a link to your Tweet in a separate comment below.