Find of the Month: Parrot
Summer is about to ‘take flight’ (puns!) and I thought it was high time I feature a spectacular, soaring gift idea in the form of…drones!
Parrot is one of the world’s top consumer electronics brands that’s particularly well known for producing drones (although it’s key to note they produce quite a few other products, like headphones, automotive gadgets, and a gadget that tells you when to water your plants). In their drone division, they produce a range of models from full-sized to miniature for experienced drone flyers and beginners alike.
Why do I think drones make a great gift idea? They’re totally of the moment and work for all ages. Kids learn about engineering and mechanics while adults get in touch with their inner whiz kid. They get you outdoors and off the couch. They can take amazing photos and videos and help you see our world in a new light. And they’re just plain cool.
Best of all, Parrot is currently offering $30 to $100 off all of their consumer drones until July 4, making it a particularly apt time to get into the drone game. Today I’m going to highlight a few of Parrot’s drones and minidrones so you can learn more about this burgeoning product category – and why Parrot should be one of your top picks!
Parrot Bebop 2 – $349.99 USD
Lightweight yet totally functional, the Bebop 2 is the signature drone in Parrot’s collection. It offers up to 25 minutes of battery life per flight and can be easily controlled via a smartphone or tablet. Available in three colours, the Bebop 2 is an ideal hobby drone if you’re also into video and photography – it captures amazing quality pictures (including a straight 90 degree vertical angle) that you can then edit with ease. Plus it works in all conditions, so if you want to snap your buddy carving the ski hill or them waterskiing over the ocean this summer, you’ve got a drone for all seasons with the Bebop 2.
Parrot Airborne Night Minidrone – $179.99
Take to the skies under the cover of night with this minidrone (one of several from Parrot) that’s designed to work day or night. This easy to control pint-sized drone features two headlights that can be adjusted for brightness, giving you the ability to play with your little robot well into the wee hours of the night. It takes just 25 minutes to charge up the battery and this minidrone still has photographic capabilities with a wide angle lens to take overhead photos. So cool!
Parrot AR.Drone 2 – $349.99
Many people see drones as like playing with a toy – but the AR.Drone 2 actually invites you to use it as a game. Yes, you can still fly it around and play with its two cameras like you would any other drone, with easy instant upload to YouTube and an online community of fellow drone heads. But it can also be synced up with AR.Flying Ace, which allows you to battle between two AR.Drones for a whole new level of interactivity. With tons of stunts and tricks to try out, you’ll love playing with the AR.Drone 2.
Parrot Jumping Race Minidrone – $159.99
Parrot doesn’t just produce flying robots – they’ve also got some fun on the ground models like MAX, which you see above. Designed for high speed fun, these on the ground racers are no less enjoyable to control and do tricks with. With speeds of up to 14 km/h (which is actually crazy fast when you see it in action), these awesome minidrones can once again be easily controlled via your connected device – and are even better when paired with another one for some head to head racing action.
Now excitingly, I’m giving away not one, but TWO Parrot Minidrones this month – the MAX Jumping Minidrone and the Airborne Night Drone. Want to win one of them? Here’s how to enter:
1) First & foremost: you must be a subscriber to the Canadian Gift Guide to enter this giveaway. It’s as simple as finding ‘The Gift of Gab’ box in the righthand column and dropping in your email or clicking follow. Then, tell me in the comments below by June 30, 2016, which Parrot Drone or Minidrone are you most interested in?
2) Entries are limited to one per person / per email address / per household (or more if you score bonus entries). A random draw will be conducted on or around June 1, 2016 to select the winner, who will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen in their place.
3) Entries are limited to Canadians that have reached the age of majority in their province. Quebec is not eligible for this promotion.
4) Bonus Entry: Follow Parrot on Twitter, tag them and me (@cdngiftguide) in a Tweet about why you want a minidrone this flying season! Use the hashtag #flyingseason please and post a link to your Tweet below in a separate comment to earn yourself an extra entry into the draw.
5) Bonus Entry #2: Follow Parrot on Instagram and either Regram one of their photos and take a photo from their site and share it on your own feed, tagging them in it. Leave a link back to your photo in the comments below in a separate comment.
6) Bonus Entry #3: Like Parrot on Facebook and leave a wall post about which of their drones you’re most interested in taking for a test spin. Link back to your FB post in a separate comment below.