Find of the Month: Tense Watches
As we head into the holiday season, I felt like this was a year I really wanted to focus on more Canadian brands. You all had such a positive reaction to my (nearly) all-Canadian gift guide this past July, so it inspired me to search far and wide for some of the best Canadian gift ideas out there. In today’s digital age, shopping ‘local’ can mean more than visiting your corner store – any time I’m featuring a Canadian brand, you’re supporting an entrepreneur that’s come up with an amazing gift idea. So with that in mind, I’m pleased to introduce you to Tense Watches.
Wooden watches are very ‘of the moment’ right now, suggesting a sort of earthy chic modernity. But believe it or not, Tense has been in the business since 1971, making them an originator of the wooden watch. All of the watches are actually handmade right here in Canada, from recycled or reclaimed wood, meaning you don’t even have to feel any sort of eco-guilt when wearing one. Watches are always a lovely gift idea in my books. While smart watches and your phone may threaten the watch’s prominence, when it’s crafted from beautiful wood, it becomes more of an accessory, or an art piece, or a piece of jewelry – one of the only pieces of jewelry many men feel comfortable wearing, natch. I’m so excited to share some of my favourite watches for him, her, and unisex from Tense!
Kootenay – From $229
One of my favourite styles is the unisex Kootenay. The cool geographic shape has this mid-century modern feel to it, particularly when paired with lush dark woods (although it also comes in lighter varieties). Note that with Tense watches, the price may go up slightly based on the type of wood you select, although not by much. You can expect about $5-$10- in price variation from the base price per watch I feature here. If you also dig the Kootenay’s next hexagon shape but want something a little more dainty, note that it also comes in a smaller profile, the aptly named Small Kootenay, for about $174.99.
Hybrid – $389.99
If you’re looking for something that marries the vibe of wooden watches but has a different band, then check out the Hybrid watch. Made with real leather and trimmed with sleek wood, these unisex watches have a polished urban feel. With a built-in calendar and top notch materials, this is a divine gift for your new spouse, a beloved parent, or someone special in your life that has an eye for high style.
Alpine – From $229.99
I picked this watch out because I liked how well it married the traditional and the new age. Wooden watches may be associated with a natural, purist vibe, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be loaded with modern features. For example, this square-shaped men’s wooden watch (a modern cut if I ever saw one) has a luminescent face, so he can keep time while watching a movie or heading home before daylight savings kicks in. The watch also comes in a ton of neat finishes. From a regal near-navy dark sandalwood to a calico-esque dual tone sandalwood, it goes to show that the sky is the limit when it comes to creativity and watches.
Maria – From $144.99
Most of the women’s watches in Tense’s collection are either unisex watches, or smaller versions of the more man-oriented styles. But the Maria stands apart as being part bracelet, part watch, and totally feminine. The little gold beads and vaguely heart-shaped wooden pieces give it a sweet feeling, but the minimalist clock face feels totally timeless. The price point of pieces like the Maria also make them supremely accessible. Buy this for your impossible to shop for mother-in-law – and tell her she’s buying into a truly Canadian brand – to put a smile on her face.
Want to score a Tense watch of your own? I’m very excited to announce that I am giving one lucky reader the chance to pick out a Tense watch of their choice, valued at up to $250. Here’s how to enter for your chance to get a beautiful Tense wooden watch!
1) First off my friends! You must be a Canadian Gift Guide subscriber to enter this giveaway. Just find the ‘Gift of Gab’ box on the righthand side of this page and either hit ‘Follow’ or enter your email address. Once you’ve done that, leave me a comment by November 30, 2016 with a link back to your favourite watch on the Tense website.
2) Entries are limited to one per person / per email address / per household (or more if you score bonus entries). A random draw will be conducted on or around November 1, 2016 to select the winner(s), who will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen in their place.
3) Entries are limited to Canadians that have reached the age of majority in their province. Quebec is not eligible for this promotion.
4) Bonus Entry: Like Tense on Facebook and leave a wall post on which of their watches are your favourites. Link back to your wall post in a separate comment below.
5) Bonus Entry #2: Follow Tense on Pinterest and repin your favourite item from their boards. Share a link to your Pin in a separate comment below.
6) Bonus Entry #3: Follow Tense on Instagram and either Regram one of their photos and take a photo from their site and share it on your own feed, tagging them in it. Leave a link back to your photo in the comments below in a separate comment.
7) Bonus Entry #4: Follow Tense on Twitter and send out a Tweet tagging them + me (@cdngiftguide) that links back to this post.
Don’t forget! There’s often many other chances to earn bonus entries into all of my giveaways. As a subscriber, keep an eye out on daily posts for more ways to enter to win!