Find of the Month: Hen Jewelry + Bear Hardware
February and Valentine’s Day are pretty much synonymous when it comes to gift-giving. And with Valentine’s Day comes some pretty classic gift ideas, like flowers, candy, and jewelry. My aim with my coverage this year is to showcase a few alternatives. I’ve already touched on flowers, and today I’d like to hit on jewelry with a very covetable, very Canadian brand.
Hen + Bear is the brainchild of Genevieve, a talented London, Ontario-based designer with a bachelor of design from Ryerson. Gen started Hen Jewelry (HEN for short) back in 2011, while her accompanying men’s line, Bear Hardware, debuted in 2015. Both brands have gained a fierce and loyal audience across Canada and beyond. Today, I’m highlighting a few of my favourite boho-inspired jewelry finds for him and her this Valentine’s Day (or whatever occasion you’re celebrating, truly).
The bestselling product for HEN has to be their stacking stretchy bracelets. Coming in a colourful yet neutral array of beads and stones, these pretty bracelets look perfect on their own or when mixed and matched. I’m obsessed with moonstones so naturally this look caught my eye – but browse the entire line here.
I really dig the unique materials Genevieve uses when crafting her pieces – especially on the guy’s side of thing. Many guy jewelry brands will stop at leather, but this brass snake-inspired bracelet is plenty masculine and cool. So cool in fact, you might find yourself slipping it onto your own wrist after gifting it to him. Oops! But really, there are a ton of cool motifs to choose from, from manly antlers to raw anchors to hunks of stones. Swoon alert!
I love the instant cool girl vibes you get from so many of Genevieve’s pieces, like this raw vintage brass necklace. It’s part choker – 100% on trend right now – and part disco fabulous chain necklace, perfect for edging out that LBD or glamming up your streetwear alike.
If you spot something you like on the Bear Hardware (or Hen) site, I have good news and bad news. The excellent news is that most items are available in multiple sizes for maximum comfort – this cool jasper / lava / hematite stacking set you see above has five different sizes for example. The bad news? Most items are made in very limited quantities and can sell out quickly. Nab what you love while you can or risk heartache this V-day!
I couldn’t round out a semi-Valentine’s Day inspired post without touching on a love-oriented gift idea! This striking brass chain has a rose tint and features a piece of rosy pearl-plated quartz. If you know anything about crystals, rose quartz is directly related to your love prospects, making this a truly perfect Valentine’s Day pick.
1) Heads up: you must be a subscriber to the Canadian Gift Guide to enter this giveaway. It’s as simple as finding ‘The Gift of Gab’ box in the righthand column and dropping in your email or clicking follow. Then leave a comment by February 28, 2017 with a link back to your favourite item and on the Hen + Bear website (from either side of the site its fine!)
2) Entries are limited to one per person / per email address / per household (or more if you score bonus entries). A random draw will be conducted on or around March 1, 2017 to select the winner, who will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen in their place.
3) Entries are limited to Canadians that have reached the age of majority in their province. Quebec is not eligible to participate in this promotion.
4) Bonus Entry: Follow Hen Jewelry on Instagram and either Regram one of their photos, or share a photo of your favourite piece from their website onto your own Instagram! Don’t forget to tag Hen + Bear in your post, and link back to it in a separate comment below.
5) Bonus Entry #2: Same as above – only follow Bear Hardware instead!