Mosquito Minder

Mosquito PreventerWhat It Is: I grew up in Winnipeg, Manitoba – a city that’s as famous for its bone-chilling winters as its mosquito-heavy summers. Those pesky bugs were (and are) everywhere – and that’s true across Canada. Until now. The Mosquito Preventer is a new innovation from Canadian brand GreenStrike. Unlike most other devices to keep the bloodsuckers at bay, such as citronella candles or an insect zapper, this eco-friendly device helps by actually lowering the total mosquito population around your home. How does it work? It mimics the ponds and standing water environments where female mosquitoes like to lay their eggs. Using lures and by simulating these environments, the eggs are laid and safely disposed of. Meanwhile, once a female lays her eggs there, pheromones are sent out that attract other mosquitoes – meaning more and more eggs are laid and destroyed, safely, quietly, and effectively diminishing the population. Best of all, this device is portable, so you can bring it to the cabin for when you’re spending a week in the great outdoors, or even camping or to the beach. It’s cordless, virtually silent, and totally effective at controlling the mosquito population before it spirals out of control.

Who It’s For: Your kid, that just bought their first lakefront property and needs a way to enjoy the outdoors. Your parents, who love hosting a backyard BBQ but hate the bugs. The happy couple who’s wedding you’re attending, as an excellent way to start their marriage off on the right foot.

What It Costs: $299

Where It’s At: Exclusively at Home Hardware stores across Canada. It’s currently on back order but you can try your in-person store, or be put on the wait list for this ingenious device.

BONUS entry into my Pinheadguy Caricatures giveaway – tell me in the comments below, what do you think of this product? Great gift idea? A must-have for your summer?

Comments
16 Responses to “Mosquito Minder”
  1. SandyS says:

Nasty pests!!!!!

2. dabrowne says:

This gadget would truly be a godsend on our acreage, which has 2 ponds and lots of mosquitoes! I can understand why it is already on back order.

3. Aimee says:

I’m going out to buy this

4. Rachel C. says:

I love this! Mosquitoes bother me so much in the summer. =(

I hate mosquitoes, so think this is a great idea. Wish it was less expensive though — maybe in time.

Pinheadguy Caricatures bonus entry: I think this product is a nice alternative to what is currently out there. I think this product is great, would make a great gift idea & a definite must-have for the summer. Unfortunately the maintenance is rather high – replacement of lures, filters & landing strips every 30 days (selling for $21.99) & replacing the batteries up to 3-4x a mosquito season (couldn’t find what type or how many batteries the unit uses). Would be nice if it had a corded option instead.

I’d love this! I’m a mosquito magnet.

8. Mary warner says:

Expensive but better then West Nile disease and bites. Mossies not so bad in the lower mainland but farther up the valley WOW.

what a great idea. I’m from Manitoba in the southwest corner & we’ve had several people come down with West Nile out here & it’s not pretty.

10. Joan G. says:

I’d like to see it in action before I spend the money but if it works as promised, I’d be a buyer.

11. Karen MacKenzie says:

This would be wonderful on our riverfront property with way too many trees!

12. kiraali says:

This sounds like an excellent idea for camping and festivals and whatnot!

13. Anne Derkat says:

Great idea.

14. I live in Manitoba where the mosquitoes are often as big as birds. I will definitely be buying this!!

15. Susan Patterson says:

We really need this for the lake. The mosquitoes were so bad this weekend – thank you!

16. diane says:

I love this, I need it and it would be a great gift.