Find of the Month: Dear Lil’ Devas
Happy New Year everyone! If you’re one of the many folks out there looking for some inspiration and goodwill as you resolve to better your life in some way this year, then I’ve definitely got the brand for you. Dear Lil’ Devas is a Canadian brand based in Toronto. Their mandate is twofold but very simple: to create beautiful, comfortable workout / yoga clothing in a respectful, enjoyable environment. The idea? The good vibes generated from the laughter and sense of community in their workshop transfers into the clothing they produce – ensuring you look and feel amazing through every cat / cow pose and beyond. This month I’m highlighting a few of my favourite pieces from Dear Lil’ Devas, so check it out with me!
Original Light Weight Cotton Dream Pants – $65
The first product designer Rosie Connor was challenged to make was a pair of loose-fitting yoga pants, at the request of her friend and colleague Paula. After plenty of research to find the perfect fit and the perfect breathable blend of cotton, these dreamy loose-fitting pants were born. Today they’re one of a half-dozen pants options offered by Dear Lil’ Devas. The cotton naturally wicks moisture away from the body, while the relaxed fit makes it a breeze to get through any pose without being self-conscious about your body. If one of the tenets of yoga is relaxing and opening your mind, the last thing you want is to feel constrained in some way – these super soft pants are the perfect gateway to unlocking a chilled out state of mind. Plus they come in a huge range of colours with a photo of every shade so you know exactly what you’re getting. Given how easily they roll up and how comfy they are, they’re also ideal for traveling!
Thicker Cotton Dream Pants – $75
One of the things I appreciate about Dear Lil’ Devas is they don’t leave men out in the cold. More and more guys are recognizing the benefits of yoga (including loosening up those tight joints) but they don’t necessarily want to wear a pair of spandex to class. Dear Lil’ Devas has five different pant options for men, made from a variety of materials, including hemp, bamboo, fleece, and of course, cotton. These pants are the same as the original dream pants pictured above, only they’re slightly thicker. I should mention that the features don’t end there on the men’s or women’s styles. You have the option of choosing how your pants ‘end’ for example – whether as a mid-calf bloomer or folded up, or left totally long. And the seams, patented by their production manager Vijanthy, are finished on the outside of the pants, so you don’t have an annoying seam rubbing against your leg all practice. Despite their loose fit, the pants are also designed to contour to your body and won’t ride up on you.
Bamboo Exercise Interlock Top – $40
Of course, a good pair of yoga pants needs a good top to go with it. Dear Lil’ Devas has a few different options available to suit your body and how much skin you feel comfortable showing. If you dare to bear a bit more, then this bamboo and organic cotton tank is an ace choice. The material is sturdy but stretchy, and naturally wicks sweat away from the body. Available in a host of rainbow hues, it’s perfectly appropriate for a yoga practice but also works great in your everyday life – you’ll be surprised at how often you reach for one of their comfy tanks to layer under a cardigan or blazer. And if you want a little more coverage, no fear – Dear Lil’ Devas has everything from a long-sleeve top to a core warmer for those intense ab-focused practices.
Bamboo Short-Sleeved T-Shirts for Men – $40
Again, Dear Lil’ Devas has great options for guys too, that work for so much more than yoga. Their collection of tops ranges from a long-sleeved cuddly turtleneck to a muscle-flattering tank top. Squarely in the middle is this relaxed, classic bamboo-cotton tee. Dear Lil’ Devas has an anecdote on their site about how these tees came to be (in prep for a multi-day yoga festival) and notes that the team wearing them actually didn’t need to launder their shirts each day – bamboo has antimicrobial properties, so you’ll find your tee won’t trap odors, even if you’re really giving it during a practice…or any other kind of activity. Dyed in a low-impact way here in Canada, these uber soft tees make wonderful gifts as they’re super flattering and comfortable, and will soon become his favourite tee for everything from hanging with the kids to hiking the trails to lounging in front of the TV.
Bamboo Infinity Scarf – $40
While I’ve primarily focused on fitness gifts in this post, Dear Lil’ Devas recognizes that their super soft cotton-bamboo fabric has many other versatile applications. They offer a lineup of comfortable dresses and skirts, plus a bunch of really cool accessories. Case in point? This cuddly and trendy bamboo infinity scarf, which comes in a bunch of classic neutral colours to pair well with your entire wardrobe. They’re perfect for winter and spring as a way to bundle up, but they can also be worn as fashion accessories once your jacket comes off. They’re even great as a yogi gift – these non-scratchy scarves can be wrapped around your body when you’re warming up for a practice or kept handy for when doing a cooling practice (another great option are their Savasana Blankets / Wraps). Hunting for stocking stuffers or gifts on a smaller budget? Check out fun accessories like their braided headband or sleep masks.
Big-Bottomed Bamboo Bag – $70
If you peruse the Dear Lil’ Devas site you’ll see pretty glowing reviews across the board. The brand has built up a strong, local cult following as people value their approach to design and comfort. This following has allowed the brand to continually innovate, whether in the form of adding new colours or adding new products. One of their latest offerings is this cheekily-named oversized bag, which is perfect for toting snacks and clothing to and from your yoga practice – but works equally well for scampering around the city for whatever’s on your agenda. It’s just hitting their virtual shelves this month, along with a few other items, so snap one up before they sell out!
If you’re hunting for new workout clothing to get you inspired this month, you can’t do much better than Dear Lil’ Devas. From their ethical manufacturing processes to their reasonable prices to their careful design considerations, they’re a fantastic brand to resolve to fall in love with this New Year. And to help you out in your ‘journey’, I’m giving away a $200 gift card to one lucky reader! Want to win it? Here’s how to enter:
1) First & foremost: you must be a subscriber to the Canadian Gift Guide to enter this giveaway. It’s as simple as finding ‘The Gift of Gab’ box in the righthand column and dropping in your email or clicking follow. Then leave me a comment below by January 31, 2016 that includes a link to your favourite product(s) from the Dear Lil’ Devas website.
2) Entries are limited to one per person / per email address / per household (or more if you score bonus entries). A random draw will be conducted on or around February 1, 2016 to select the winner, who will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen in their place.
3) Entries are limited to Canadians that have reached the age of majority in their province. Quebec is not eligible for this promotion.
4) Bonus Entry #1: Sign up for the Dear Lil’ Devas newsletter, then leave me a separate comment below telling me you’ve done so. As a heads up, if your winning entry is one selected based on the newsletter aspect, your email address will be verified before being determined the winner – so stay honest and be sure to actually sign up!
5) Bonus Entry #2: Follow Dear Lil’ Devas on Pinterest and Pin something from their site onto your Pinterest account. Leave a link back to your Pin in a separate comment below.
6) Bonus Entry #3: Follow Dear Lil’ Devas on Instagram and either Regram one of their photos or share a photo from their site onto your own Instagram. As a note, DLD is new to Instagram so if their aren’t many photos at the month’s beginning I recommend grabbing an image from their site and tagging them in it! Leave a link back to your image in a separate comment below.
7) Bonus Entry #4: Follow Dear Lil’ Devas on Facebook and leave a comment on their wall regarding your favourite product(s) from their site. Leave a link back to your wall post in a separate comment below.