The Oscars are but a few weeks away – I’ve already seen all the Best Picture nominees, how about you? Today I thought it’d be fun to pick out a few cool gift ideas themed to some of this year’s nominated films. Keep in mind, they are generally some harrowing flicks so it’s not always the easiest to find some fun gifts – but I think I’ve rounded up a few ‘winners’ of my own!
Joy Mangano Miracle Mop – $26.99 @ Bed, Bath and Beyond
If you’ve seen the movie Joy, for which Jennifer Lawrence is nominated for Best Actress, then you’ll know that the co-star of the film is inventor Joy Mangano’s baby, the Miracle Mop. Well this innovative cleaning tool is still around. In fact, Mangano has an entire lineup of goodies to keep your home spic and span and oh so organized. A kitschy hostess gift idea for the neat and tidy host of your Oscar party!
Mad Max Anthology – $45.99
Only a handful of this year’s Best Picture nominees are available for home viewing right now (The Martian is another option). Mad Max: Fury Road picks up where the adrenaline-racing series began two decades ago, but if you want to know the full story then pick up this anthology collection, containing the four films in the series and a crazy amount of bonus features.
‘Tall Foxy’ Mukluks – $420 @ Julie Pedersen
The Revenant brought a chill to even the most seasoned Canadian’s heart, with its brutal landscape. However, you have to admit, Leo looked pretty bundled up for large parts of the film thanks to his many layers and natural materials. Julie Pedersen has been reinventing the mukluk for years now into something fashionable, functional, and oh so warm. If you aren’t opposed to wearing fur and leather for warmth as our descendants did, then you’ll love these suede and rabbit, fox, and faux feather booties.
Astronaut Ice Cream Balls – $5.99 @ ThinkGeek
Make like Mark Watney trapped on Mars (via The Martian) on enjoy a little space age snacking. If you’ve never had the pleasure of trying the far out treat that is astronaut ice cream, then this is a cool way to do it. Freeze dried yet surprisingly creamy, these little bite-sized balls sort of have a sensation like eating sponge toffee. Or styrofoam. Depends who you ask. A hilarious gift idea to treat the little ones.
East Coast Tour Coat in Grass – $99.99 @ ModCloth
The immigration love story Brooklyn is a parade of fun 50s fashion – I seriously coveted most of Eilis’ (Saiorse Ronan) wardrobe! One standout piece was her emerald green coat worn while she set sail for America, no doubt a nod to her leaving her Irish roots behind (or does she?) Replicate the same sunny style with this updated trench coat option, featuring bright white piping, buttons, and a contrasting bow.
Oscar Books – From $12.98 @ Indigo
I love that so many of today’s best films are adapted from wonderful books (spoiler alert – the book is almost always better than the movie). This year is no exception. From nonfiction biographies to sci-fi epics to quiet tales of romance, believe it or not, every Best Picture nominee this year stems from a book or existing canon (Mad Max is a bit of an outlier, there’s a movie tie-in book, but it moreso derives from the series to date). If you really want to know the full story of any of this year’s Best Pictures, then be sure to pick up the book before or after you watch it on the silver screen.
For the record, if you’re hosting an Oscar party then you best head over to Indigo to pick up supplies. Apart from their Oscar book collection, they’ve also got a great lineup of award-worthy party accessories, many of which have a gilded golden look to suit the night’s big theme. And I’m super psyched to tell you we’ve teamed up to give away a prize package of some of this year’s ‘nominated’ books, including the following (I’ve also highlighted some marquis categories for each book):
- Trumbo (Best Actor, Bryan Cranston)
- Room (Best Picture, Best Actress, Brie Larson)
- Spotlight (Best Picture)
- The Revenant (Best Picture, Best Actor, Leonardo DiCaprio)
- Steve Jobs (Best Actor, Michael Fassbender, Best Supporting Actress, Kate Winslet)
Want to win this smorgasbord of fantastic books? Here’s how to enter:
1) Heads up: you must be a subscriber to the Canadian Gift Guide to enter this giveaway. It’s as simple as finding ‘The Gift of Gab’ box in the righthand column and dropping in your email or clicking follow. Then leave me a comment below by March 4, 2016 telling me two things: what your favourite Oscar-inspired gift idea is in this post, AND which of these ‘Oscar-nominated’ books you’re most interested in reading.
2) Entries are limited to one per person / per email address / per household (or more if you score bonus entries). A random draw will be conducted on or around March 5, 2016 to select the winner, who will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen in their place.
3) Entries are limited to Canadians that have reached the age of majority in their province. Quebec is not eligible for this promotion.
4) Bonus Entry #1: Follow Indigo on Pinterest and Pin something from their Oscar collections (either the books or the party story) onto your Pinterest account. Leave a link back to your Pin in a separate comment below.
5) Bonus Entry #2: Follow Indigo on Instagram and either Regram one of their photos or share a photo from their Oscar collections onto your own Instagram. Be sure to tag them in your post. Leave a link back to your image in a separate comment below.
6) Bonus Entry #3: Follow Indigo on Facebook and leave a comment on their wall regarding your favourite Oscar-inspired product(s) from their site. Leave a link back to your wall post in a separate comment below.
7) Bonus Entry #4: Follow Indigo on Twitter and send out a Tweet that tags them + me (@cdngiftguide) and links back to this post. Leave a link to your Tweet in a separate comment below.