Back to Back
Back to school is just around the corner – most students will be hitting the hallways right after Labour Day (if not sooner). With that in mind, I’ve picked out a bunch of nifty gifts for back-to-school.
Fjallraven Kanken Backpack – $85 @ Little Burgundy
Every kid needs a backpack – this cool outdoorsy brand from Sweden is making waves with their decidedly minimalist Scandinavian approach to this schoolyard staple. Not only do they look cool, they offer some valuable benefits for mom and dad too. Waterproof fabric means no soggy homework, while the super durable fabric should last them well through the school year(s) – not something you can say if you opt for say, a licensed character bag from Walmart. Solid, sturdy and stylish – what’s not to love?
Mr. Sketch Scented Crayons – $6.65 for a 6-Pack @ Walmart, Staples, Amazon.ca and Loblaws
Whatever kid had Mr. Sketch markers growing up was the envy of the classroom – seriously. Now the brand has expanded their scented school supplies with this cool line of smooth-writing, gel formula crayons. Housed in a hard plastic body to help reduce breakage, the twist-up design also keeps the tip of the crayon sharp and ready for colouring! Coming with a bevy of fruit-scented crayons like cherry, orange, and blueberry, these awesome crayons are a great, elementary school-age pick that will actually have the kids excited for school.
Kate Spade Large Gold Dots 17-Month Agenda – $36
Yes this pretty foiled agenda book might say 2017 on the cover, but it’s actually a 17-month calendar that commences right here in August. With plenty of space to jot down homework and social plans, each month also commences with a cute message encouraging you to explore and experience the world. Honestly, using the school-provided agenda is so passe – pick this pretty alternative up for the teen or college student in your life.
L’il Critters Complete Multivitamins – $12.97 each @ Mass Retailers Across Canada
Good nutrition is the foundation to better brain power in the classroom. If you’re struggling to get the kids to chow down on super healthy foods, try supplementing their meals or after school snacks with these chewable multivitamins. Designed with friendly faces like Barbie and Despicable Me’s Minions, these fruity-flavoured vitamins come in fun shapes to make health easier and more accessible than ever.
Paper Mate InkJoy Gel Pens – $42 for a 14-Pack @ Walmart, Staples, Amazon.ca and Loblaws
I was a total gel pen user in high school – I loved the vibrant hues that also helped me stay organized (a different colour for every class!) What’s great is how far the gel pen concept has come from its early days. Now the ink dries quicker than ever, in fact, three times faster than your average regular ol’ black / blue / red pen. And of course, it still offers that smooth, sleek feeling as you scribble notes (and doodles). The pens are also finished off with a comfort grip so they can write away without cramping their hand.
Monbento Bento Boxes – $32.99 each
Lunchboxes are one of the trendiest aspects of back-to-school shopping it seems – and these cool lunchboxes from Monbento offer plenty of flexibility and protection. Their original lunchbox shown here comes with two airtight containers, a separate food cup (perfect for snacks you want to grab or sauces you want to keep separate) and a tight elastic strap to keep things locked and loaded in your backpack. To be totally honest, it’s cool enough that grownups who aren’t heading back to school might want to nab one too.
Arm + Hammer Kid’s Spinbrush – $7.99 each @ Mass & Drug Retailers Across Canada
School picture day is coming up – which means it’s time to get those pearly whites in prime shape. One easy way to get them excited for better oral hygiene? A fun branded toothbrush featuring beloved characters like Spiderman, Paw Patrol, My Little Pony or Super Mario. Not only will a new toothbrush motivate them to brush with renewed vigour, it also means less painful trips to the dentist!
Sharpie ColourBurst Permanent Markers – $8.78 for 5 or $37.07 for 24 @ Walmart, Staples, Loblaws and Amazon.ca
The coolest part of this back-to-school gift has to be the versatility. These fine-tipped markers can function just like pens (albeit seriously permanent), or they can be used for other creative projects and hobbies. From brightening up a homework project to doodling in a scrapbook, the vibrant hues of these pens truly offer a spectrum of colour – from soft peach to electric lime. Plus, the bold, vivid ink is super quick drying, water resistant, and permanent – so no matter what they’re decorating they can make their mark.
Hobbry Spiral Notebooks – From $14.95 @ Indigo
Swoon. Gone are the days of plain ol’ 5 Star notebooks that I’d decorate with random stickers – enter these gorgeous, marble-inspired books that make a statement while still being totally functional. While they’re certainly a little pricier, an investment in a nice notebook might be worthwhile for a subject they’re either super into – or super reticent about. Honestly there are dozens of cool / cute options for teens and tweens to inspire them to think about more than just their first day of school ensemble this September.
Now I’ve got a super awesome prize package that will make a child or two (and their parents) supremely happy. You could win:
- 2x L’il Critters Vitamins
- 2x Arm & Hammer Kid’s Spinbrushes
- Mr. Sketch Scented Twistable Gel Crayons (6-Pack)
- InkJoy Gel Pens
- Sharpie ColourBurst Permanent Markers
Here’s how to enter for your shot at nabbing it all!
1) First & foremost: you must be a subscriber to the Canadian Gift Guide to enter this giveaway. It’s as simple as finding ‘The Gift of Gab’ box in the righthand column and dropping in your email or clicking follow. Then leave me a comment below by September 19, 2016, telling me your favourite back-to-school gift idea from this post.
2) Entries are limited to one per person / per email address / per household (or more if you score bonus entries). A random draw will be conducted on or around September 20, 2016 to select the winner, who will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen in their place.
3) Entries are limited to Canadians that have reached the age of majority in their province. Quebec is not eligible for this promotion.
4) Bonus Entry: Follow Mr. Sketch on Twitter and Tweet about this giveaway,tagging them + me (@cdngiftguide), linking back to this post. Share your Tweet link in a separate comment below.
5) Bonus Entry #2: Follow Sharpie Canada on Twitter and Tweet about this giveaway,tagging them + me (@cdngiftguide), linking back to this post. Share your Tweet link in a separate comment below.
6) Bonus Entry #3: Follow Papermate on Twitter and Tweet about this giveaway,tagging them + me (@cdngiftguide), linking back to this post. Share your Tweet link in a separate comment below.