What It Is: A premium coconut oil pulling kit from Canadian brand Kismet Essentials. If you just raised an eyebrow or went ‘huh?’ at the words ‘oil pulling’ allow me to explain. This ancient practice stems from Ayurvedic teachings; a holistic approach to caring for your body. Essentially the theory is that quite a few toxins and bacteria enter our bloodstream through our mouths, in particular via our gums. Oil pulling involves swishing a natural oil around your mouth for about 10-20 minutes per day to help purify the mouth, clean out harmful toxins, and leaving more than just your mouth refreshed. While modern medicine has questioned the myriad of benefits people claim to have from doing oil pulling (including clearer skin, better sleep, reduced allergies and headaches, to name a few commonly stated pros), dentists are in agreement it certainly doesn’t do any harm, and may indeed be helpful in maintaining a good oral care routine.
So let’s get to what Kismet’s offering up. Technically you can do oil pulling with any oil (although olive oil is thought to be too harsh – grapeseed and coconut oils are more commonly used). But Kismet has specifically sourced organic, virgin coconut oil that’s designed for oil pulling. In fact, it has a subtle minty flavour to it, which is ideal because you oil pull before you do anything else in the a.m. (including brushing your teeth). A Kismet Coco Rinse oil pulling kit comes with 14 individually packaged tubes of semi-solid coconut oil (no worries, it melts in your mouth within 30-60 seconds. I loved that it was all pre-portioned out, way easier than trying to just scoop some coconut oil from a tub, and the minty flavour really enhanced the taste / sensation. The packaging is also useful if you’re doing oil pulling on the go, while traveling or post-workout in the morning, for example.
Now, let’s talk about the experience and results. I’ve actually done oil pulling before. It’s a really weird experience if you’re new to it – in fact it can be a bit exhausting. If you try it out and get tuckered out fast, don’t worry – you’ll get used to it with time and be able to swish for longer periods of time. There’s nothing unpleasant about the experience, but it’s certainly different. Once you’re done, be sure to spit out your oil and DO NOT swallow it – it’s full of stuff you just cleaned out of your mouth! It’s recommended you avoid spitting it out in your sink or any drain as well, as the oil can harden and clog up your pipes over time. I’ll say this in terms of the results. My mouth felt cleaner over the two weeks I tried my kit out. I loved brushing my teeth right after as everything felt all refreshed and sparkly. It also felt like I didn’t really have to floss (although I did) as any build-up was removed. Now, the main Coco Rinse promise is that your teeth will be whiter. I’ll tell you that if your teeth were ranked on 1-10 scale in terms of whiteness, it won’t move you up by more than two shades, but it will make them whiter. My teeth definitely just looked more refreshed and clean by the end of it – I asked my husband and he confirmed they did indeed look at least one shade brighter. I imagine if you keep it up (and Coco Rinse auto-subscriptions exist for your convenience) they’d even more sparkly clean looking. All in all, I loved it – and would definitely recommend as a gift!
Who It’s For: Your yogi best friend, to up her wellness practices. Your au natural sibling, as another crafty way to show the power of natural beauty. Your mom, who’s always game to try a new (old) product out.
What It Costs: A single kit is $29.99, but if you sign up for a monthly subscription you’ll save a bit ($25.99 / month + shipping). Each kit has 14 tubes for a two-week teeth detox, but you can do oil pulling daily if it floats your boat. You can also feel okay if you miss a day in there.
Want to try it out for yourself? I’m giving away a Kismet Essentials box to a lucky reader of mine! Here’s how to enter for the chance to win a Kismet Essentials Coco Rinse oil pulling kit.
1) First up! You must be a Canadian Gift Guide subscriber to enter this giveaway. Just find the ‘Gift of Gab’ box on the righthand side of this page and either hit ‘Follow’ or enter your email address. Once you’ve done that, leave me a comment by October 23, 2016 telling me why you’d like to try Kismet Essentials.
2) Entries are limited to one per person / per email address / per household (or more if you score bonus entries). A random draw will be conducted on or around October 24, 2016 to select the winner(s), who will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen in their place.
3) Entries are limited to Canadians that have reached the age of majority in their province. Quebec is not eligible for this promotion.
4) Bonus Entry: Like Kismet Essentials on Facebook and leave a wall post on why you’d love to try the product. Link back to your wall post in a separate comment below.
5) Bonus Entry #2: Follow Kismet Essentials on Twitter and send out a Tweet tagging them + me (@cdngiftguide) that links back to this post. Share a link to your Tweet in a separate comment below.
6) Bonus Entry #3: Follow Kismet Essentials on Instagram and either Regram one of their photos and take a photo from their site and share it on your own feed, tagging them in it. Leave a link back to your photo in the comments below in a separate comment.