In The Market
I have lived in a few different places across Canada, which has exposed me to a lot of neat local traditions, customs, and events – our country is vast and diverse, and the better for it! One such event is Market Collective, one of the longest-running and biggest holiday markets in Calgary, with over 70 new artists and 200+ vendors total. It runs every weekend throughout the holiday season – the kickoff was last weekend, however you still have three more chances to check it out (December 2-4, 9-11, and 16-18) and pick up some locally made goods. Not only is a great way to support talented artisans and shop local, it’s a perfect place to find one-of-a-kind gifts that are just a little different than what you’ll find in regular stores. The good news for the rest of us is that many of these brands also sell online – so you can still support Canadian businesses no matter where you call home in our lovely country. Below I’ve highlighted a few of my fave gift ideas at Market Collective this holiday season!
Loyal Loot Log Bowls – From $75
I feel like these log bowls end up on a Canadian gift ideas list annually – and for good reason. Crafted from reclaimed trees (that fall due to weather or infrastructure), these novelty nature bowls are lovingly turned into usable bowls that function as works of art and serveware. Buy multiples for a high impact look, or fill it up with candies to adorn your desk. Available in a huge range of colours, there is a longer lead time for custom bowls, but if you’re at Market Collective you can pick one up on the spot – Loyal Loot is one of 70 new vendors this year!
Heather Buchanan Pop Culture Art Prints – From $15
I can’t get over how much I love so many of these quirky art prints from Heather Buchanan. Riffing on 90s nostalgia in particular – from Fresh Prince to Wayne’s World to Home Improvement to the Big Lebowski – these surprisingly realistic prints are a wonderful gift idea for your BFF. Available in three sizes and too many fun variations to count (as a note, you can also get tons of cool other prints too) it’s a snap to pick one up for everyone on your list.
Camp Brand Goods Hoodies – $90 each
This cuddly collection of hoodies and tees has a minimalist, outdoorsy vibe with all of their designs, with a hint of retro throwback for good measure. Ideally suited for those who love the camping life, or are moreso suited toward an apres ski cocktail in a ritzy lodge, you’ll find yourself reaching for your Camp Brand Goods items more often than not. Fun fact, each week of Market Collective also features a community initiative. The weekend of December 9-11, you can buy a card in support of TreeEra, which represents 25 new trees being planted – and get a free gift from Camp Brand Goods to boot!
CoutuKitsch Jewelry – From $25
I love me some good affordable jewelry, and CoutuKitsch’s collection is right on point. With understated boho-influenced pieces that still make a statement, this full collection of bracelets, earrings, necklaces, rings, and even belts should be your first stop when sussing out some affordable sparkly gifts for your besties.
Adrian Martinus Recycled Cutting Board – $80
Ugh. Covet so hard. SO hard you guys. Literally everything in Adrian Martinus’ Etsy shop has my shopping fingers twitching. Not only do they look beautiful – they’re partially made from recycled skateboards to give your pieces a one of a kind look. Not in the market for a cutting board? The artisans at Adrian Martinus also create everything from rolling pins to baseball bats to bowls. Swoon.
Routine Natural Deodorant Sampler Pack – $52.99 (on sale for $25 this week!)
For the eco and health-conscious beauty babe in your group, pick up this cool multi-pack of all-natural deodorants from Routine. She can find her signature scent while trying out the brand’s effective and clean natural deodorants, free from dubious ingredients like aluminum zirconium and aluminum chlorohydrate. Because this post happens to be going up on Cyber Monday week, you can also pick up this set for half the regular cost – and potentially split it amongst your loved ones or use it for stocking stuffers.
As I mentioned above, Market Collective is still on for three more weekends – and you can still pick up tons of crazy cool gifts online as well if you can’t make it in person. For details on the vendors and what’s in store for you at the event, visit the Market Collective website for event times, location, and more!
Now excitingly, I get to give away one of Loyal Loot’s covetable log bowls AND a Market Collective GC to a lucky reader of mine. Want it to be you? Here’s how to enter!
1) First off my friends! You must be a Canadian Gift Guide subscriber to enter this giveaway. Just find the ‘Gift of Gab’ box on the righthand side of this page and either hit ‘Follow’ or enter your email address. Once you’ve done that, leave me a comment by December 12, 2016 with a link back to your favourite gift idea from any of the Market Collective vendors I shared with you above.
2) Entries are limited to one per person / per email address / per household (or more if you score bonus entries). A random draw will be conducted on or around December 13, 2016 to select the winner(s), who will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen in their place.
3) Entries are limited to Canadians that have reached the age of majority in their province. Quebec is not eligible for this promotion.
4) Bonus Entry #3: Follow Loyal Loot on Twitter and send out a Tweet tagging them + me (@cdngiftguide) that links back to this post.
5) Bonus Entry #2: Follow Market Collective on Instagram and either Regram one of their photos and take a photo from their site and share it on your own feed, tagging them in it. Leave a link back to your photo in the comments below in a separate comment.
6) Bonus Entry #3: Follow Market Collective on Twitter and send out a Tweet tagging them + me (@cdngiftguide) that links back to this post.