You know when you were a kid and you were learning about the seasons and the only way a teacher knew how to distinguish ‘spring’ from the melting thaw days of winter and the blissful hot days of summer was an umbrella and a flower? Yeah, that’s the focus of today’s post – ye ol’ colloquialism of ‘April showers bring May flowers’ is pretty true across the nation, particularly if you live in a coastal climate like myself. Help your friends & family get prepped for the rainy season ahead, cause if we’re going to suffer through some gloomy days before it gets all nice and pretty outside, at least we can do it wearing nice and pretty gear.
Hatley Rain Gear – $18.99 – $69.99
If you’re looking to outfit your favourite niece or nephew, or one of your own little ones, look no further than Canadian brand Hatley for crazy-cute kid-oriented rain gear that’ll have them covered from top to toe. Umbrellas, boots, coats, splash pants, and infant onesies can be mixed and matched to create a cheerfully cohesive look, no matter what the weather is serving up.
Merde Il Pleut Umbrellas – $35 – $45 @ Raindrops
Have a sense of humour when you get caught in a downpour with this cheeky French-phrase-emblazoned umbrella from Toronto-based shop Raindrops. Available in a convenient auto-folding size or a full-scale, wooden-handled style, choose from a rainbow of colours in hopes that you’ll see a rainbow at the end of a storm. The bright pop of colour will brighten even the stormiest days, as will the note of ‘Shit, It’s Raining’ to anyone in the know. Buy one for your hubby or dad as a fun Father’s Day gift.
Rain Boot Liners – $25 @ GumDrops
Freshen up your favourite pair of boots with a pair of Canadian rainy day retailer GumDrops’ boot liners. Simply slip the polar fleece socks into your acrylic or rubber footwear and fold over the top for a bright new look on a basic boot. Bonus – these can actually work to transform your boots into winter warriors, meaning your feet will both stay warm and dry during the chilly months of the year. These are a great, practical pick for any of your outdoorsey friends, or even your mommy friend that needs to jazz up her all-purpose rainboots for year-round use.
Kikkerland Singing In The Rain Shower Curtain – $24.95 @ Rolo
After the rain sometimes a good, hot shower is all that’s needed to wash away the misery outside. Beat the weather at its own game with this cheerful, movie-inspired shower curtain, which channels Gene Kelly’s legendary musical performance with a modern, clean design that instantly invites light into your life. The price is perfect for a housewarming gift, or a birthday gift for a friend that’s recently scored their first place.
Base Camp Rain Boots – $100 each @ The North Face
Good golly these are some gorgeous rain boots. Let me tell you something. I bought a cheapie pair about a year ago and after a few short treks in inches-deep rain, I quickly realized they weren’t exactly waterproof…nor is rubber a particularly comfy material to be trekking around in all day. So why not turn to a company that not only knows what apparel needs to survive the outdoors, but creates stylish and wearer-friendly solutions to boot? Enter The North Face’s Base Camp Rain Boots, which are made from the same weatherproof material as their hardcore equipment packs, yet built from a flexible canvas lining. Bonus – you can flip the top of the boot down to let the liner colour peek through for a fashion-forward take. Pick up a pair for your sweetheart come that first big rain storm!
To be honest, purchasing any of these gifts may incite the giftee to step on spiders in an attempt to bring on a rainstorm. If you’re not quite ready for the Spring weather, you’re (possibly) in luck – I’m giving away a pair of The North Face Base Camp Rainboots to one lucky reader. All you gotta do to enter is:
1) Tell me which rain gift idea has rocked your world by leaving a comment before Friday, May 4th.
2) Entries are limited to one per person / per email address / per household (or more if you score bonus entries). A random draw will be conducted on or around April 5th to select the winner, who will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen in their place.
3) Entries are limited to Canadians that have reached the age of majority in their province. Quebec is not eligible to participate in this promotion.
4) Bonus Entry: Every time you leave a comment on a non-contest post over the contest period, and tag it with #cgg, you’ll earn a bonus entry into this draw. As a friendly reminder, I do read every comment so know that your entries will be counted – just remember you’ll earn one entry per post you comment on that’s published after today.
5) Bonus Entry Part Two: Follow The North Face Canada on Twitter so you can stay in the loop on even more great outdoorsy gear. Simply drop your Twitter handle in the comments below so I can verify you’ve linked up with the brand.