Ultimate DIY

DIY Skillmap PosterWhat It Is: Sometimes I stumble upon gift ideas that are way cooler than I could have possibly imagined. This is one of them. DIY.org is an interesting website / app that provides you with fun tasks to help you learn skills in a whole range of DIY areas – from Chemist and Magician to Mycology and Shoemaker. Once you complete a certain number of tasks (and share your results) you can unlock real-life, Girl Guide-style badges to show off your accomplishments. This poster is a fun complement to the program – the icons are identical to the patches for each area of study, and the badges that border one another are related, giving you a general guideline if you find you’re drawn to a particular area of ‘study’. You can use the poster as a place to affix your patches once you’ve achieved them, or simply to give you ideas for what to learn next. Way smart and way fun for people of all ages.

Who It’s For: Your twilight years parents, for a fun way to perk up their retirement. Your adventurous niece or nephew, to teach them valuable skills that could unlock a whole new area of love. Your spouse, because the couple that plays together, stays together.

What It Costs: The poster is $12 plus $10 shipping. While normally I wouldn’t feature something with such a high shipping threshold, it appears to be a flat rate so if you add some patches into the mix (i.e. don’t buy the poster first) you’re golden. Also $22 for a poster doesn’t strike me as such a hard deal when the rest of the app and site is completely free.

Where It’s At: DIY.org

Keen on picking up a bonus entry (for the last time!) into this month’s DiaNoche Designs giveaway? Tell me in the comments below: which featured DIY skill are you most keen to pick up?

Comments
14 Responses to “Ultimate DIY”
  1. Wow there sure are a lot of DIY skills. I am probably most keen to pick up the Chef or Clothing Maker.

2. This is a great gift idea! Really love this. Think I’m even going to try this out for myself

I’m thinking the Botanist badge would be an interesting challenge.

This is super cool!! I’d go for a few of these skills, I believe but Mycologist would be my top choice.

5. How cool! Thank you for sharing! I think I need a few of these, definitely Fort Builder and Tape Ninja.

6. Grace F says:

How fun are these?! I would be eager to pick up the Tape Ninja badge. Sounds like it would be fun and entertaining. Description states: Duct Tape is like the force – it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. The Tape Ninjas of our time have mastered this force. They ask not what can be done with tape, but what can’t? It’s in these moments that Tape Ninjas innovate on the cutting edge of adhesion. Pretty creative challenges too!

I always wanted to be a better Photographer.

8. Diane says:

I’ll go for Industrial Designer.

Historian would be my first pick.

I would pick Historian

11. I’m going to be a Baker. Cool website. I’ve bookmarked it.

The featured DIY skill I am most keen to pick up is Interior Designer.