Fash From The Past

fashion plates

What It Is: Only my favourite childhood toy recreated for the 21st century! To the uninitiated, the gist of this toy for budding fashionistas is to mix and match a range of 3D textured ‘plates’ until you have the perfect combo of top-to-toe looks. From there, you simply use the rubbing tool on a piece of paper placed over the plates, to create your own custom fashion sketch outline. Your next step is to whip out the pencil crayons to colour in your design and voila – you’re on your way to creating your first ever fashion line. This was seriously quite possibly my most beloved childhood toy and the fact they’ve updated the 80s / 90s-era haircuts and clothes for today’s kids makes me uber happy…and admittedly, tempted to buy it for myself!

Who It’s For: Your discerning fashionista niece, as a fun birthday present. Any 90s-era kid that remembers the original. Your grandkids, to keep ’em busy for hours while you’re busy around the house.

What It Costs: A totally reasonable $29.95

Where It’s At: Indigo is where I spotted it, although as of writing this post it’s on back order. It WILL be back though, so get in line to snap one up for yourself.

Bonus entry into this month’s Eaune Skincare giveaway – tell me in the comments below: did you play with this toy as a kid (or know of its original incarnation)? Know anyone that would love it?

Comments
12 Responses to “Fash From The Past”

Eaune Skincare bonus entry: No, I didn’t play with this toy as a kid but I do remember it! I think my cousin’s little princess would love it đŸ™‚

They did not have that when I was a kid, but I was always drawing fashion, so I would have loved it. My Grandaughter would like this.

This wasn’t available when I was a kid, but I know my niece would love it as she is always revamping her doll’s clothes.

4. May says:

I did not play with this type of toy as a kid but I think my cousin would love this!

5. Sherry K says:

Yes, I used to play with paper dolls and remember cutting out the outfits for them.

6. Susan T. says:

I was so excited when Indigo put this on their Facebook page! This was my absolute favorite as a kid!

7. Joan G. says:

I can’t recall ever seeing this before but I think me granddaughter would enjoy it

8. beewbedard says:

I think we had something similar to this when we were little girls

9. ikkinlala says:

I don’t remember having one or playing with one much, but I think a friend had this or something similar.

This is the first I’ve heard of this toy, but that might be because I was already an adult in the 80s. But I know that now my great-nieces would love to have it.

they didn’t have this when I was a kid, however I would have loved this

12. Athena says:

I did play with this when I was a kid