Trend Watch: Serenity and Rose Quartz
High five to anyone that figured out last week that my post on Lacoste’s pretty preppy pastels were actually a preview of this week’s look at the two colours of the year from Pantone. The company insists they’ve chosen two colours as they like the combined harmony of them, one designed to boost feelings of peace and well, serenity, which may be quite fitting considering the current turbulent world we live in right now. Anyway, here a few ideas for how to bring two of this year’s hottest colours into your life.
Quo by ORLY COLOR AMP’D Polishes – $10.99 each @ Shoppers Drug Mart
If you want to really experience on-trend colour, then you’ve got to look at the nail industry which is always on top of the trendiest hues. This new collection of Quo by ORLY polishes consists of 24 different hues from vibrant to neutral, glitter to gloss. The formulation is part of a two-step designed to function like a gel, but be easily removed like a polish. No UV lamps are required – all you need to do is apply the colour of your choice, then use the brand’s Sealcoat to lock in that flawless polish. The four colours you see above are on point with the vibe of Serenity and Rose Quartz; in clockwise order starting from the top left, they are Surfer Girl, Celebrity Gossip, Art Walks and City of Angels. I’d also recommend taking a peek at On The List’ for a more shimmery variation.
Dualitas Rings – From $125 USD
Fans of the metaphysical – i.e. crystals, aromatherapy, et al – were jazzed to hear about this year’s colours. Rose Quartz, after all, is an actual stone used in crystal therapy to boost your relationships and open your heart. Dualitas specializes in crystal-embedded gems, like these pretty sterling silver rings with precious rose quartz and lapis lazuli that are specifically cut so the stone actually touches your skin. It’s a lovely way to celebrate the colours of the years while bringing love into your life for the long-term.
SEPHORA + Pantone Universe Collection – $23 – $49
As always, one of the official sources for Pantone items is their lineup with SEPHORA COLLECTION. Three of the four products you see above are indeed sold out right now online (the lipsticks and the shadow palette) but eagle-eyed shoppers may be able to find them in stores or can sign up to be notified for when they’re back in stock. The eyeshadows, for the record, reflect the full palette of shades Pantone has picked for the year (they also pick seasonal fashion palettes) and is a great price for a whopping 24 shadows.
KitchenAid Stand Mixers – From $599
Even your kitchen can be in tune with the colours of the year. KitchenAid has announced they’ll be releasing that pretty pink hue on the left – called Guava Glaze – inspired by Rose Quartz, in July of this year. The shade on the right, Cornflower Blue, is currently available. It’s this particular image that struck me with its similarity to baby boy and girl announcements, but Pantone has been firm in saying that wasn’t intent – they’re interested in the way these colours play with one another, and I have to say, they do play nice!
Nella Bella Soho Nu Bag in Marine Blue – $99
Vegan leather bags are as fashionable as ever, as this cute little satchel bag demonstrates. Available in a Serenity-esque marine blue, this easy-to-wear tote features a detachable strap, solid YYK zipper, and plenty of space to stash all your essentials. Looking for something not so vibrant? It comes in a few other hues too – but none quite as on-trend as this serene shade of blue. Best of all, Nella Bella is a Canadian brand!
Pantone Limited Edition Mug – $25
Every year, Pantone adds to their mug collection by releasing a limited edition mug with that year’s big colour. Show you know your colour trends by sipping out of this year’s particularly unique mug, that features a chip of both shades on either side of the mug. It’s the perfect gift for the budding graphic or fashion designer in your family. I also love their new Pastel Mug Set, which includes two similar shades to Rose Quartz and Serenity.
Marina Statement Necklace – $90 @ Stella & Dot
Here’s a great example of how well these two colours fuse together. This stunning statement necklace has a little bit ladylike charm and loads of glam potential. Picture it over a soft creamy sweater or worn for a wedding with a springy floral dress. The potential is endless – especially for compliments!
Wet n Wild Lip Products – From $0.99
One of the best parts of this year’s colour pairing has to be how great they work in the beauty realm (I mean, Emerald was tough, amirite?) Rose Quartz in particular is a beautiful pick for blush and lip products, and Wet n Wild has tons of affordable choices so you can stay on trend for the year and switch things up when the next hot shade is announced. From left to right, we’ve got a MegaSlicks Lip Gloss, Silk Finish Lipstick, Balm Stain and MegaLast Lip Colour, each designed to give your lips a slightly different finish and all with that fresh, pretty rose quartz hue.
Ludlow Oxford Cotton Shirts – $128.50 each @ J Crew
Finally, proof that even men can get in on the trend, J Crew has conveniently packaged these two super soft cotton tees into one product listing. The official shades are ‘Rustic Blue’ and ‘Pale Jasmine’ but I’d be surprised to find out Pantone’s colours didn’t have an influence on their creation. As this post demonstrates, the hues look great together, so find a stripey tie or bow tie that picks up both shades to finish these dress shirts off.
Finally, I have a great little beauty prize package for one lucky winner, valued at over $110! If you win, you’ll nab:
- Wet n Wild 1x Silk Finish lipstick, MegaLast lip colour, Balm Stain and Mega Slicks Lip Gloss
- Quo by ORLY COLOR AMP’D 4x bottles of polish + 1x Sealcoat
- 2x Quo Nail Polish Removers, 1x Quo Cotton Pads and 3x Quo by ORLY Nail Treatments
Want to win? Here’s how to enter:
1) First & foremost: you must be a subscriber to the Canadian Gift Guide to enter this giveaway. It’s as simple as finding ‘The Gift of Gab’ box in the righthand column and dropping in your email or clicking follow. Then leave me a comment below by February 6, 2016, telling me your favourite Pantone gift idea in this post.
2) Entries are limited to one per person / per email address / per household (or more if you score bonus entries). A random draw will be conducted on or around February 7, 2016 to select the winner, who will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen in their place.
3) Entries are limited to Canadians that have reached the age of majority in their province. Quebec is not eligible for this promotion.
4) Bonus Entry #1: Follow Wet n Wild on Twitter and send out a Tweet about this giveaway, including a link back to this post, and tagging me (@cdngiftguide) and Wet n Wild. Share your Tweet in a separate comment below.
5) Bonus Entry #2: Follow Shoppers Drug Mart on Instagram and either Regram one of their photos or share the Quo polish photo shown above in a post of your own. Be sure to tag Shoppers Drug Mart and @cdngiftguide in your post. Then share it in a separate comment below.
6) Bonus Entry #3: Follow @cdngiftguide on Pinterest and Pin your favourite Pantone gift idea from this post. Share your Pin in a separate comment below.