The Mother Lode
Mother’s Day is just one week and a bit away – have you figured out what little token of affection to gift your mom? If not, you’re in luck – I’ve rounded up some superb gift ideas for Mother’s Day 2016!
Faded Grandeur Brooch Necklace – $110 at Banana Republic
I’m all for quirky jewelry, and this vintage-inspired piece definitely caught my eye as a nouveau classic piece for mom. Designed to look like a collection of retro brooches, this gold (imitation) gold and silver necklace is a cool statement piece that feels just the right amount of hip for mom. Note – when I wrote this post, this piece was on sale. Zip on over to BR to see if it still is!
Bodycology Products – $6.97 each @ Walmart
Mom can always use a little R&R in the form of a nice hot shower, and this trio of sweet-smelling products is just the way to help her unwind. Start by lathering up with a body wash loaded with moisturizing ingredients like honey and aloe vera, then smooth out your skin with luxe jojoba and cocoa butters. Bodycology comes in a range of gorgeous scents, so if you particularly love it – like the Petal Away blend pictured above, which pairs mixed berries and fresh floral petals – you can keep the aroma close all day with a spritz or two of their fragrance mist. Gorgeous!
Colourful Journals $12.99 each and Set of 2 Kitchen Towels – $7.99 @ WINNERS and HomeSense
I mean, let’s get the obvious out of the way – these whimsical, colourful pieces are an affordable, cheery way to bring a little light into mom’s life this Mother’s Day. But it’s why you’re buying them that really counts. These amazing gifts are part of a new Shop for GEN1 initiative between WINNERS, HomeSense and the Canadian Women’s Foundation. Proceeds go toward emergency shelters and programs to help women rebuild their lives after abusive situations, while also teaching the next generation the importance of a self, equal world for women. A gift with heart – what’s not to love?
Wishing Ball – $42 @ Uncommon Goods
Moms are generally amongst the most thoughtful people in the world – after all, they’ve learned to put someone else’s needs before their own. This year, encourage mom to take a moment each week for herself with this unique art piece. It comes with 52 slips of paper that she can write down a message of gratitude or perhaps a wish or hope she’s holding close. Insert them into the hand-blown glass ball, and you’ve got a living work of art that’s also a friendly reminder for all that’s near and dear to her heart.
Mother’s Day Set – $49.50 @ La Vie En Rose
Give mom the gift of shut eye with this blissful trio of sleepwear items. Made from comfy cotton, this cute collection includes an inspirational tank, chilled out capri PJ pants, and an eye mask to get some extra shut eye while you make breakfast in bed. This is actually one of three styles that are perfectly suited for Mother’s Day – snap up another set for your wife or mother-in-law too!
Letters to My Mom – $16.20 @ Amazon.ca
Now this is a gift idea I can totally vouch for – because I’ve given a variation of it to a family member! The idea is simple. The book is designed to look like a collection of vintage air mail-style letters. 10 of the letters include prompts, while 2 are blank. Your job? Fill out each letter, seal it up, write an address when mom can open it, and presto, she’ll have a little gift to enjoy all year long as she unravels your memories, gratitude and more.
Blouse – $29 @ Joe Fresh
There are plenty of fresh, springy styles at Joe Fresh that mom would love to have in her wardrobe, many of which feature an on point seasonal print like florals or birds. This pretty magnolia-esque printed top is perfect whether mom’s rocking it for a day at the office or brunch with the family. Honestly though, there are tons of tops, dresses, accessories and more to choose from!
Geratherm Non Contact Thermometer – $74.99
ay. Becoming a mom is one of the scariest yet most rewarding and interesting parts of life – so this Mother’s Day, why not give the new mom in your life some peace of mind? This amazing device makes it a cinch for mom to care for a sick little one. It quickly and accurately captures baby’s temperature without having to initiate skin contact – in other words, no shrieking! Not only can you use it on your baby, it can also be used to measure the temperature on objects and liquids, making it a must-have for heating up formula to the optimal temperature. Psst – Geratherm also carries products for those trying to become a mom too!
I am very excited to announce I have a little prize package for one lucky mom, daughter, or other loved one that’s looking forward to Mother’s Day! If you win, you’ll receive a copy of Letters to Mom, a Bodycology trio of products, and a Geratherm Non Contact Thermometer. Want to win? Here’s how to enter!
1) First & foremost: you must be a subscriber to the Canadian Gift Guide to enter this giveaway. It’s as simple as finding ‘The Gift of Gab’ box in the righthand column and dropping in your email or clicking follow. Then leave me a comment below by May 7, 2016 telling me what your favourite gift idea is in this post.
2) Entries are limited to one per person / per email address / per household (or more if you score bonus entries). A random draw will be conducted on or around May 8, 2016 to select the winner, who will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen in their place.
3) Entries are limited to Canadians that have reached the age of majority in their province. Quebec is not eligible for this promotion.
4) Bonus Entry #1: Follow Raincoast Books on Instagram and either Regram one of their photos or share a photo from their site onto your own Instagram. Be sure to tag them in your photo! Leave a link back to your image in a separate comment below.
5) Bonus Entry #2: Like Geratherm on Facebook and leave a post on their wall about why you need their no contact thermometer in your life. You have no obligation to mention the CGG.
6) Bonus Entry #3: Follow Bodycology on Twitter and send out a Tweet about this giveaway that links back to this post and tags them + me (@cdngiftguide).