Housework Helper

Fisherkids Responsibility StationWhat It Is: Kids these days are often billed as taking luxuries and perks their parents bestow on them for granted. Fisherkids has developed a line of aids to help busy parents to get their kids to pitch in, feel good about it, and learn valuable life skills. The ‘Responsibility Station’ is their marquis product; kids can choose a chore from the bucket, note how they’ve pitched in over the week, collect a paycheque, and decide whether to save, spend, or donate their hard-earned cash. It’s basically a sophisticated allowance system that teaches accountability – instead of making endless demands and shelling out a $5 bill, this way they’ll straight up know where that money came from (you know, like the real world. Sorta.)

Who It’s For: Really any parent that’s trying to ease the burden of housework by bringing the kids into the fold. You could probably start with kids as young as grade 4, if I were to hazard a guess, and work your way up from there. Granted, the high schooler in your life might roll their eyes, but if they don’t have a ‘real job’ this is a good way to encourage them to lend a hand.

What It Costs: $50 plus a rather hefty $25 shipping fee to Canada. Granted, the brand carries a good range of items similar to the Responsibility Station featured here, so you could always add on other items for a lower blended shipping rate.

Where It’s At: The Fisherkids Etsy shop. Wondering about the name? It’s a reference to the old proverb about giving someone a fish versus teaching them to fish. Smart.

Bonus entry available for my DiaNoche FOTM giveaway! Tell me in the comments below – how have you gotten kids to do chores (or how were you encouraged to do them)? Do you think the Responsibility Station would work?

Comments
10 Responses to “Housework Helper”

i don’t think the Responsibility Station would work.
    Our kids had very basic chores, nothing too big to do each week. We never really had an issue getting them to do their chores.

Younger kids would get a big kick out of this Responsibility Station, not so much with the older ones. Our children had basic chores as their contribution to making the household run smoothly. Things like putting their laundry away and cleaning up their rooms.

3. I think the Responsibility Station is a good idea, however it wouldn’t work in this household after 1 week. The best way to get most of the chores done is if guests are coming over, other wise I need to remind them at least every couple of days

Don’t think it would work on my grandkids – chores is not in their vocabulary.

5. Grace F says:

Love the concept! Definitely a great way to literally teach responsibility to children.

The concept is great. Would it have worked for my Kids? probably not.

I really love this concept and the link to the “real life” situation of work for pay. That being said, I think that children should pitch in because they are part of the family. I think this system, or one like it, would be a great start in getting kids to think about what skills they have, how their efforts can make a difference, and whether they want to spend, save, or donate. Love the basis of the company’s name too!

8. Diane says:

Can’t tell you how I got them to do chores and I don’t think this would work.

9. stacey h says:

this looks handy; i think that the best way to get kids to do chores is to be fair and don’t criticize their work.

10. beewbedard says:

my kids always did chores without too much difficulty – i just never criticized their work (or fixed it)