Grills, Chills & Thrills
Is there a better time of year for cooking than grilling season? Everyone loves firing up the BBQ for hassle-free, tasty, generally pretty healthy meals ranging from roasted corn to fresh burgers to more exotic fare like rotisserie chicken or crab legs. Today’s gift guide is all about awesome grilling gift ideas under $50 to get you psyched for your next BBQ meal.
Himalayan Salt Cooking & Serving Slab – $39.99 @ Bed, Bath & Beyond Canada
Enhance the flavour of your next BBQ meal with this hot and cold-proof salt plate. If you’re BBQing, you can actually place the block on the grill itself, which offers perfect heat distribution. Placing food on top of the hot plate transfers the salt – but it can actually be used again and again. Ingenious!
Outset Flex Grill Basket – $19.60 @ Indigo
Indigo actually stocks a huge range of Outset products that are ideal for those with specialized BBQ tastes – from a quesadilla pan to a drumstick rack. I gravitated toward something a little more versatile when perusing their selection, in the form of this flexible basket that keeps your food from slipping between the grates, while contouring to whatever you’re grilling for even heating. Bonus for the long handle that keeps your mitts well away from open flames.
Maille Dijon Mustard & Honey – $3.99 @ Select Gourmet + Grocery Stores
Add a little sweet tang to your burgers, steaks and sides with Maille’s latest offering – honey mustard! While Maille is available on grocery store shelves, it serves up yummy gourmet flavour, with nearly 270 years of history behind them and fun tasting notes / ideas on their site. While their honey mustard – punctuated with the taste of honey and nuts – is their newest offering, they’ve got plenty of others for all your grilling and marinade needs, including the classics and more eccentric fare, like Horseradish Mustard and Mustard Provencale. Yum!
BBQ Dragon Fire Supercharger Grill Starter – $47.99 @ Amazon.ca
If you prefer the smoky taste of a charcoal grill but hate how long it takes to heat up, this gadget is for you. Simply clip onto the edge of your grill and it will blow air at the coals, getting them to an optimal hot temperature in just 10 minutes. Hands-free and rechargeable, the best part of this awesome device is you can get busy in the kitchen instead of keeping an eye on your briquettes, getting you closer to BBQ glory in no time.
Chef’n Barbecue Branch Skewer – $14.95 @ Kitchen Virtue
Double your grilling capacity with this clever branch-shaped skewer from the kitchen gadget wizards at Chef’n. Crafted from stainless steel and wood, this sleek skewer is ideal if you’re stacking on veggies or sausages for the whole family in one fell swoop (also – minimal cleanup!)
Clamp LED Grill Light – $31.50 @ Williams Sonoma
If you want a perfect meal, then keeping a close eye on it is key. Whether you’re cooking late at night, dealing with a shady spot, or just want a little more light in your life, this clamp-on grill light is a key backyard essential. The rotating heads make sure you can get light exactly where you want it, while the LED lights will practically last forever!
Double-Helix Bristle-Free Barbecue Grill Brush – $22.99 @ Bed, Bath and Beyond
The secret to great BBQ food is a clean grill – no seriously! Keep your grates clear to ensure each meal is given a fresh, fair chance to get evenly cooked. One shortcut solution? This bristle-free galvanized steel brush, which features two springs that clear away food build-up without scratching your grill.
KitchenGrips BBQ Mitt with 16in Tongs – $24.99 @ Kitchen Virtue
Safety is just as critical as cleanliness when working with the grill. Don’t get your regular kitchen mitts mixed up with your outdoor ones. Instead, invest in this two-for-one set, featuring an ultra-durable BBQ mitt to keep your hands safe, plus a long set of tongs with an easy-to-operate one-handed locking mechanism.
Craft Beer BBQ Sauce Gift Set – $37.82 @ Williams Sonoma
Beer has long been used by chefs and grill enthusiasts to give their marinades an earthy, tangy smack of flavour. Williams Sonoma has grabbed three regional craft beers and infused them into this trio of BBQ sauces, including a smoky-sweet Kansas style sauce, a tangy mustard-infused Carolina style, and a dark lager-enriched Texas-style sauce. Bring the homes of BBQ to your home with this cool set.
But wait, there’s more! Want a yummy recipe to kick off this BBQ season? Try this potato salad featuring Maille Honey Mustard:
Healthy Summer Potato Salad
350g fingerling potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Maille Honey mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup chopped arugula
2 tablespoons sliced kalamata olives
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
Place a saucepan filled two-thirds with water over high heat. Cut potatoes into 1-inch pieces and bring to a boil covered. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook 5 minutes or until tender. Drain.
Whisk together olive oil, lemon rind, lemon juice, honey mustard, and pepper in a bowl. Stir in arugula, kalamata olives, parsley, basil, and chives. Add drained potatoes; toss gently to coat.
Got your mouth watering? I’m also giving away $100 in Maille products (they’ve also got yummy vinegars, pickles and more!) to one lucky reader. Want to have the ultimate grilling pantry this summer? Here’s how to enter:
1) First up: you must be a subscriber to the Canadian Gift Guide to enter this giveaway. It’s as simple as finding ‘The Gift of Gab’ box in the righthand column and dropping in your email or clicking follow. Then, tell me in the comments below by June 22, 2016, what are your favourite gift ideas from this post?
2) Entries are limited to one per person / per email address / per household (or more if you score bonus entries). A random draw will be conducted on or around June 23, 2016 to select the winner, who will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is chosen in their place.
3) Entries are limited to Canadians that have reached the age of majority in their province. Quebec is not eligible for this promotion.
4) Bonus Entry: Follow Maille Canada on Twitter, tag them and me (@cdngiftguide) in a Tweet about which of their products you want to try out this grilling season! Post a link to your Tweet below in a separate comment to earn yourself an extra entry into the draw.
5) Bonus Entry #2: Follow Maille Canada on Instagram and either Regram one of their photos and take a photo from their site and share it on your own feed, tagging them in it. Leave a link back to your photo in the comments below in a separate comment.
6) Bonus Entry #3: Like Maille Canada on Facebook and leave a wall post about which of their products you’re most interested in tasting this summer. Link back to your FB post in a separate comment below.